Thursday, November 1, 2012

Post-Hurricane Survival

I've recently come back from a really amazing, three-week comics residency in Florida. I was lucky to get into LaGuardia Airport before it was shut down and flooded. Instead of celebrating my return from the residency and getting back to normal life, the hurricane hit. We have power and internet, but our gas supplier is no longer delivering oil--meaning no heat, and hot water for only a few more days.
 
I moved to NYC on August 28, 2005, the day Hurricane Katrina hit, and cannot describe what a terrible loss it was for me, my friends and family. It's surreal that a hurricane has hit New York and has destroyed so many lives. We are all very fortunate to have what we have. The subway tunnels are flooded, repairs will take months.  My nine-to-five job that I get by on is without power and internet, meaning I'm out of work for the indefinite future. I have already missed three weeks of work so that I could attend the residency, and to be honest, I am worried about making ends meet.


I'm taking advantage of this time off of work by doing drawing commissions. I will draw for one hour on a 9 x 12 piece of paper, using a phrase suggested by you (i.e. sexy librarian, Batman, flying objects). I'll also do portraits, please send me a photo. Email your drawing request with your Paypal receipt to callingthedog@gmail(dot)com.  The finished piece will be sent via email, but I will mail the originals out when I've got access to a post office later, so be sure to include your mailing address. Thanks for taking the time to read this and for spreading the word. It means so much to me.

Lots of love and gratitude, 
Jess

Open Studios at Atlantic Center for the Arts, New Smyrna Beach, Fl.

Page 2 getting inked at the comics residency.

1 comment:

JTW said...

i hope things work out for you, i hate seeing fellow cartoonists in bad situations.